Upcoming Events

History

Downtown Dundee

St. John's Lutheran Church

Volunteer Fire Department

Backbone State Park and Beach

Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC)

RAGBRAI

DOWNTOWN DUNDEE


The town has gone through some changes since 1887. This is an old picture of the town back in the horse-and-buggy days. Since then the town has gone through some changes just like any other town.
Downtown Dundee, the early days.


Senior Citizen Housing
Located South of the business district is a 4-plex Senior Citizen housing. The building was built in 1983 at a cost of $82,000. Glenn and Jim Puffett donated the lot for the project.
Senior Citizen housing.


Dundee Town Park
Many years ago this area was known as Gilbert's Park, named after the Gilbert family of Dundee. Old timers tell of the big picnics and ice cream socials held here. In 1962 the town acquired the property.
Dundee town park.

The shelter house and fireplace was constructed in 1981 at a cost of $10,000. Much of the construction was done by volunteer labor. Presently a drive is on to raise funds to add a TK 3000 (Tuff Kids) play set to the Dundee Town Park. This will be six decks constructed of wood, a turbo tube, and cool wave slides, horizontal crawl tube, spiral ladder, monkey bars, arch climber and corner bench.

Wesleyan Methodist Church
According to the research of records, the Dundee Wesleyan Methodist Church was started in 1897 and was dropped from the listing in 1948. Around 1944 the church was joined with the Manchester Church. In the beginning the Dundee Church and Masonville Churches were listed together.

The Manchester Press - October 25, 1894: "We are requested to announce there will be dedicated at Dundee, on Friday, November 9, a Wesleyan Methodist church building. The service will be conducted by Prof. A. R. Dodd, Earl Platt, Illinois. The public is respectfully invited to be present."

Baptisms took place at the Maquoketa River. The church was located on the south side of Second Street, a half block west of the brick schoolhouse. The parsonage was the house now owned by Mabel Murphy on the northeast corner of Center and Fourth Streets.


Dundee Grange
The following story about the Dundee Grange appeared in The Manchester Press:

"The Dundee Grange is one of the live organizations of its kind in the county, and was organized in February, 1941, at the village schoolhouse by Deputy James Carradus of the Masonville Grange. Dean Sauerbry was elected as the first master at that time. For a year, meetings were held at the school and then at the homes of the members until 1949. In the latter part of the year, quarters were found in the Goldsborough building. The Dundee Grange purchased the closed Methodist Church building in 1952 which will afford enlarged space. In addition to holding bi-monthly meetings in it, the building will be used for community events in which attendance is not restricted to members of the grange. A kitchen will be installed at a future date, as well as some remodeling."
In the 1950s the grange building was used to have dances for the local teenagers. In 1972 it was torn down after it was no longer used by the grange members. The Dundee Grange disbanded in 1980.

School
On June 28, 1899, the lot for the first schoolhouse was sold by H. D. Wood to the Independent School District of Pleasant Hill for $40. A wooden structure was built and was located on the northeast corner of Iowa and Third Streets. The school was sold in 1915 and converted into a residence. A brick schoolhouse was built at a new location at a cost of $7,000. Due to overcrowding, a large brick addition was built in 1936.
The old brick schoolhouse.


The school with the new addition.

The new addition, costing $52,000, increased the size of the former building by two-thirds. The gymnasium, with a floor space of 52x72 feet, could seat 300 people. It fulfilled the need for a suitable place for athletics and a modern hall for school and social purposes. Previously athletic practice had been held out-of-doors. A new high school assembly room, two new classrooms, a lunch room, modern showers, locker rooms, a new heating plant, additional basement space, and a stage in the gymnasium were among the many improvements.

On July 1, 1959, the newly formed West Delaware County Community School District went into operation. Grades 9, 10, 11, and 12 from Dundee and other schools in the area were bused to Manchester in the fall to attend the West Delaware High School. In May 1981 the Dundee school was closed and all the students are bused into the West Delaware Schools in Manchester.


Return to the Home Page.



This page created by Dundee's own
Lisa Guenther-Rhoades

Last Modified: 01/01/01